Deadline for financial funding consideration is December 20th if you are applying for Fall admission.
A. Admission with full standing requires:
1. Students with a B.A. in German
Undergraduate cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale on the equivalent of the last 60 semester hours and GPA in German courses beyond the second-year level of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 scale.
2. Students with an M.A. in German
GPA in graduate work of at least 3.7 on a 4.0 scale.
Note: In evaluating German Zeugnisse, sehr gut will be considered 4.0, gut 3.5, and befriedigend 3.0. Coursework from abroad will not be considered without appropriate documentation and consultation with the Department and the Graduate School after such work has been completed.
3. Deficiencies: Students granted regular admission with deficiencies will be required to make up all deficiencies, both undergraduate and graduate, above and beyond the required course work of the graduate program.
4. Students admitted for work toward the Ph.D. who do not have the M.A. degree but who have substantial coursework past the B.A. level are required to take the M.A. examination no later than the end of the second week of the second full-time semester of study in the program.
B. Probationary admission is possible under the following circumstances:
1. Students with a B.A. in German who have an undergraduate cumulative GPA of at least 2.75 on a 4.0 scale and GPA in German courses beyond the second-year level of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
2. Students with an M.A. in German who have a GPA in graduate work of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
Note: Students admitted on probation cannot receive financial support until removed from probation.